Monday, January 31, 2011

The project begins...

Once back in Auckland I began to search the names on the War memorials I had taken photos of using the very good Auckland Cenotaph search which has details of almost every soldier, seaman etc who has served for New Zealand in a theatre of war. The searching was fascinating and sobering all these young men dying miles from their home in New Zealand and most at such a young age.  Of those who I have search so far lastly an average of a year before dying, some had been injured more than once before being killed in action. Attached to most of the cenotaph records is a photo of the soldier smiling and full of life.

I need to decide how I want to collate the information and what to record. I really want to look at each memorial from a personal/human way not just look at the bricks and mortars of the memorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment